Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Restarting the Sedentary Ball

At the writing of the previous post by my esteemed running colleague and BUFF (best ultimate friend forever, please verbally cite us if you plan on plucking this diamond of a catch-phrase out of the rough) all I had was the best of intentions. Intentions to continue my running schedule while on my trip back home. The allure of Chi-Town and the long-missed company of my family and friends was too much, I'm afraid.

My will power is only so strong.

I had been doing a 5 minute walk/run routine for thirty minutes three days a week. During my trip home I managed two in two weeks.

But when we began this we decided that this needed to be only a positive experience. Difficult, yes. But one in which abject self-loathing plays a key role, no. So I decided to just enjoy my trip home and get the ball restarted upon coming back to Japan.

Easier said than done.

Since returning two weeks ago I have only gone on two run/walks. Whoops.

Here's what I've got so far...

1. Thinking about a marathon while huffing and puffing my way through the first 5 minutes of my run/walk may not be the best way to motivate my out-of-shape-but-still-trucking self to keep at it.
2. I have never encountered so much goodwill from the strangers that are my neighbors as I have while running.
3. Running through the little paths in between rice fields seems like a good idea pre-mouth-full-of-bugs. Never again.

Keep on keeping on.
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment