Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My First 4-Mile Run :)

I woke up later than I wanted to and stared my run at 6:12AM.

I focused on consistency because my run yesterday was so undisciplined. Mile one and two I ran 10 and walked 3 minutes. Mile three I slowed down quite a bit. I was focusing on the fact that I had to run yet another mile and it was getting late so I knew I'd have to rush to make it to work on time. It's amazing because I'd think something like running, something we do as children without thinking, something we've been doing for as long as we've been we, wouldn't take much concentration. But it does!

After a sloppy mile of 8 minutes walking and 7 running I realized I needed to pick it up on my last mile to get back to my house in time to stretch, shower, and eat breakfast. I considered shortening it or skipping it altogether but then I remembered one of my simple mantras, "Run because you have to." I ran 9 and walked 2 minutes. By then the sun had peeked out from the clouds and I was panting and sweaty. A vision into my last weeks in Japan!

Mentally, today was bit more tough since I had to convince myself to keep running that last mile. But physically it was more or less as difficult as yesterday so my RPE was 4 today as well. My last mile felt very smooth, a great pace and stride. Probably because I knew it was my last :)

My legs were sore and weak directly after but throughout the day I didn't notice any pain. My toes on my right foot have been tender all day. Like blisters just without the blisters. I should watch out. That would be so uncomfortable!

Mostly my mind wandered today to thoughts of my fast-approaching homecoming which passed the time. I want to try to be present in my training, to focus. There's a balance though, I think.

Let's Running.

No comments:

Post a Comment