Tuesday, June 15, 2010

You Win Some...

...you lose some. Badly.

Today's run was dreadful. I was exhausted from a fitful sleep and my muscles are still a bit sore from Sunday's long run. It's the rainy season now which means intense humidity followed by deluges. Hence the fitful sleep. Nights have been cool up until now but last night it felt as if the temperature was rising, instead of falling, throughout the night.

It was 74 degrees F. It felt like at least 85.I woke up late but thought I'd still have time to run the three miles.Not exactly. I was able to do two miles. Despite the short distance my RPE for today was 6.

I probably could have crawled the miles faster than I was running them. I tried to repeat "I'm doing this for me" and "It's terribly hot but it doesn't matter" ("but it doesn't matter" is a sentence pattern The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer recommended we adopt for any negative thoughts that float into our mind). This brought me some relief but not much.

I walked about 3 minutes each mile. I completed the first mile in 16 minutes and the second one in 15 minutes. Non-Runner's Marathon suggests not to time your runs since the whole goal of this program is finishing, regardless of time. But since I run in the mornings I need an idea of how long I take so I can allot enough time (something I failed to do today). Also I'm planning a trip to England in August to visit Stephen and his family and want to keep up my training during the trip. However, I'm not going to bother mapping out runs in all the different places I'll be traveling so I want to be able to approximate by time spent running.

Tomorrow is a new day. Today's struggles don't matter. I'll go out and run.

Let's Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment